Tuesday, June 23, 2009

such a Shame, Shane, Shame

Last week, somehow, i was defeated by Andy in two separate sporting events... Golf & Basketball. I still have not as yet come to terms on how this happened, but it did.
With golf, i can somewhat accept the events as they've unrolled. I am uttlerly crap at golf. Though I do it somewhat often, and really enjoy it... i suck at it. (Take my recent conversation with Jackman as evidence:
Joel: Hey Chris, sorry I missed you last week for that round of golf. I just played my first round of the year last weekend & shot a 72.
Jackman: Oh, maybe we can't play together, man.
Joel: 72 on a 9-hole course...
Jackman: Oh, maybe we can't play together... man?
During my losing round to Andy, i shot a 12 on the second hole (literally 6 straight shots into the woods/field on the right) and got a ball stuck in a tree on hole 6. (I know it was stuck because i played it out, much to the chagrin of the mamaDove there in the tree).
But then, to lose at 1-on-1 basketball was truly a shame. Andy, impossibly, kept hitting three-pointers. Of course he'll tell you he "always" hits threes, but after such a long time since shooting around, I think it's quite astounding...
Link
I did manage to still come away from the day with a pretty commanding lead, winning at H-O-R-S-E, the 'hand-slapping game' (the contest is still open, by the way, for anyone looking for a rice-cooker), several strategy/board games & (of course) any video games we happened to play, but the overall shame of losing two 'skill sports' games in a row, pretty well guarantees me choosing the 'run around the block' event sometime in the near future...

This is, by the way, an event that will bear watching. The premise is that two competitors run around the seeger Block in Clinton (Highland-High-Westview-Milwaukee) in opposite directions. The first one back to the starting point wins. It's oft been a 'joked-about' event for Andy & Jen, but Andy got a bit cocky during his recent wins and insinuated the potential to beat me at the event... Though I informed him this was impossible... the basketball & golf were similarly supposed to be impossible. So... game on.

No comments: